RE: [squid-users] Rotating logs restarts authentication/acl helpers?

From: David Parks <davidparks21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:38:25 -0600

I understand, thank you. So, I'm mucking with log modules in 3.HEAD now, but not understanding the process 100% from the LogModules docs page.

There are modules (udp, tcp, etc) that I configure for each log file, such as:
   access_log udp://localhost:1000
   cache_store_log upd://localhost:1001

Seems easy enough. But what is this log_file_daemon?
Is that a helper akin to a auth/acl helper that reads info from STDIN?

If so, the best approach seems to be a log helper, started by squid, which could cache the logs to disk if the external logfile processing app is down. UDP/TCP makes me nervous in case the log helper process is ever down or started in the wrong order by human error (it's just an extra dependency to manage).

If this is the scheme in place here, can you give me a couple of sentences describing the creation of a log helper? What is it's input/output protocol & method? What log files is it applicable to? Does squid start the process and manage it?

Thanks!
David