[squid-users] IE8 and wrong encoding of ftp username in URL

From: Giovanni Panozzo <giovanni_at_panozzo.it>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:49:58 +0200

I'm trying to use the following URL format with IE8 + squid + NTLM/AD:

   ftp://MYDOM%5Cjoe:pwd@ftpsite.ftpdom.com

In firefox(3.5.9)+squid the url is loaded correctly.
In IE8 without proxy the url is loaded correctly.

But when I set a proxy in IE8, IE8 reencodes the username and squid gets
the following request in the log file (confirmed by sniffing with tcpdump):

   ftp://MYDOM%255Cjoe:pwd@ftpsite.ftpdom.com

As you can see, IE8 encodes my "%" into %25 :(
Then, squid decodes it and authenticates to the ftp server with
"MYDOM%5Cjoe" instead of the correct "MYDOM\joe" and the ftp
authentication falis.

What could I do ?
Is there a workaround (registry key ?) to make IE8 not double-encoding
the url ?
Is there a better syntax for the URL so the username MYDOM\joe will be
correctly understood by IE8+squid ?

Thankyou
Giovanni