Re: [squid-users] Hardware Requirements

From: George Herbert <george.herbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:29:24 -0700

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de> wrote:

>>> How many hits are you specting  hits/min
>>> if  under 200 hits/min then you are okay (as my experience has shown me)
>>>

> From my experience you can do a lot more hits with that type of machinery,
> although this depends on  a lot of factors, and also strongly on the squid
> configuration.

You can certainly do a lot more hits with something that's slightly
bigger; With dual-CPU quad-core P4 boxes with 8 GB of RAM, 4x SATA HD
(root, 2x separate cache dirs, logs dir) and systems operating in 2-4
system cache groups I got 400+ hits/second in production and 600+ in
test.

The specific configuration here, with single CPU and less RAM and one
HD, is going to be less capacity than that. But 120 times less? That
suprises me...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert_at_gmail.com