Re: [squid-users] swap.state eating the entire slice

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:03:31 +0200

mån 2010-06-21 klockan 13:54 +0600 skrev Eugene M. Zheganin:

> use squid mostly because of it powerful authorization capabilities), but
> the swap.state during some "bad" conditions can eat entire slice, no
> matter how big it is - 40 Gigs, 80 Gigs, on one server I saw swap.state
> of 120 Gigs. After it eats out the space it crashes.

Have occationally seen reports about this, but not identified yet.

> Does anyone see similar issue ? Is this a configuration problem or a
> squid issue ?

The only configuration related problem is if you never issue "squid -k
rotate" or restart you Squids.. but I doubt this is the case for you.
But some people running Squids without logs have run into that issue.
Even if you are not logging then you still need to periodically issue
"squid -k rotate" or alternatively restart Squid, this due to swap.state
cleaning/compacting only being done on rotate or restart.