Re: [squid-users] Active/Backup Squid cluster

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:01:11 +0200

tis 2010-06-22 klockan 09:53 +0600 skrev Eugene M. Zheganin:
> Hi.
>
> On 21.06.2010 23:12, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> >> However, this doesn't solve the service outage, which I have to handle
> >> manually, for example raising the priority on the backup node.
> >>
> > What kind of service failure do you need manual action?
> >
> In this case - squid crash.

So your CARP setup forgot to monitor the status of Squid when
determining which node should be master.

A simple monitor which "ifconfig carp0 down" when Squid is not running
and "ifconfig carp0 up" when found running should be sufficient.

> Last time I saw heartbeat - it was using some script stuff to set/unset
> ip aliases on a node interface. This is kinda... weird.

Linux heartbeat runs in userspace. No need to clutter the kernel with
this kind of functionality.