Re: [squid-users] New to "Squid.conf", basic help

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:28:01 +0200

tis 2010-06-22 klockan 16:29 +0530 skrev Parshwa Murdia:

> I am using FC11.

Please upgrade. Fedora 11 is end-of-life and no further updates will be
seen in F11.

> Squid not activated (only installed via yum).

This is normal. After installation you need to start the service.

   service squid start

And you also need to configure your web browser to use Squid as proxy.

Additionally I would recommend configuring a cache in squid.conf (look
for cache_dir).

> Installed squid only for the desktop single PC and is to be used for
> the single PC only. The main reasons to implement it is:
>
> 1. Speed improvement (or bandwidth improvement)
> 2. For security purpose so that intruders or transpassers cannot keep an eye.
>
> How could it be activated and implemented in FC11

For a single user the speed improvements from a shared cache such as
Squid is quite small. You already have a cache in your browser.

And in terms of security the benefits is also somewhat limited. Depends
on which security aspects you want to address, but in general the "Safe
browsing" mode of Firefox adds a lot more security.