[squid-users] DNS Issues with Squid

From: Anushan Rajakulasingam <arajakul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:29:44 -0400

Hello,
I'm experimenting with squid to lower overall bandwidth usage for
about 500 users, I've implemented squid and squidguard and blocked
porn and warez sites successfully but I'm running into difficulties
with the local intranet websites, or any internal websites. ( note I
am testing this currently so no users are affected :P )
Upon going to any internal websites I receive the following error

> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://test/
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for home
>
> The dnsserver returned:
>
> Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
>
> This means that:
>
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
>
> Check if the address is correct.

I've configured my resolv.conf with the respective dns servers...

Summary

---------------------------------------------------------------------Following
works-----------------------------------------
If I ping 'test' it pings fine from the squidbox.
If i visit the website test.inside.domain.com it works fine.
If I visit http://test/%a0without the proxy it works fine.

If I go to http://test%a0with proxy it doesn't work.

Also, I was wondering is there anyway I could cache a live stream such
as the worldcup broadcasts from various sites. Over the past few days
I am noticing a lot of traffic usage.

Any and all help appreciated,
Thank you
Anushan Rajakulasingam