Re: [squid-users] New to "Squid.conf", basic help

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:15:41 +0200

tis 2010-06-22 klockan 23:33 +0530 skrev Parshwa Murdia:

> 1. I am having windows xp with fedora 11, but as you say to upgrade, i
> would but as all the things right now in fc11, so it would take me
> much time to alter all the things. but in the coming future, i wd.
> Though it could be upgraded via yum but that much I don't know in
> linux, have just started.

That's fine. As long as you don't forget that the Fedora version you are
using is outside any support.

> 2. as you recommend configuring a cache in squid.conf (look
> for cache_dir), but how to configure, i don't know. it would not take
> much time for your if you write the steps.

The only change you need to minimally make there is to decide for the
size of the cache. Just look for the directive, there is an example
ready for you.

> 3. security aspects i am intened for:
>
> i). Anonymous webs surfing.

Which is not very easy to accomplish with a proxy compared to Firefox
safe browsing mode.

> ii). IP address is not revealed.

Ok. But NAT accomplished the same thing.

> iii). No malware, virus or any such threat.

For that you need a virus scanned. Squid can use clamav (via c-icap).
But look into that once you have the basic setup completed. c-icap is
not yet packaged for Fedora but indend to get that done for Fedora 14
however.