[squid-users] Optimized Squids

From: Seann Clark <nombrandue_at_tsukinokage.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:05:04 -0500

All,

    I have been playing with/tweaking/breaking my squid for a few months
now, and I am looking for suggestions from the list on improving
performance. This is on a home system, which does not have a large user
base. I am running a Dual Xeon 2.0 Ghz system with 2 gigs ram, 120 Gigs
hard drive, in a Raid 5 configuration controlled by a 3ware RAID card.
I was using the stock Fedora 8 RPM for this, which was single threaded,
squid 2.6 Stable 22. I am also running this with diskd currently.

    I have recently recompiled squid to the latest stable for version
2.7 (Stable 9) with the async io flag passed to the configure command.
After a little updating of my configurations, just enough to get it to
work (I haven't changed any of the settings that are new to 2.7, so they
are defaults right now), I have noticed a drastic improvement in speed
and even when the system is at a high load (3-5 on the system load,
reported by top) it runs fairly well. I am looking at moving my cache
directories off to a different disk, formatted with reiserFS, I am also
planning on running it using diskd as the storage scheme. The drive I am
using will be about 100 gigs of formatted space, and I plan to use all
that space for the cache.

    I would like to know if this is a good plan, or should I change some
things and how to change them, as well as any suggestions of
configuration settings with the cache, and 2.7 options that may make a
cache run even faster.

Thanks in advance,
Seann