Re: [squid-users] Optimized Squids

From: Seann Clark <nombrandue_at_tsukinokage.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:35:54 -0500

>> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>>> Optimization Tip #1: get rid of the RAID-5.
>>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID
>>>
> On 23.06.10 09:51, Seann Clark wrote:
>
>> I am planning on adding in a new disk to the unit, to move the cache off
>> the RAID volume, and keep the RAID volume just for the Operating system.
>> Would that have any impact on squid if its binary lives on the RAID-5
>> volume, but the caches are on separate physical drives?
>>
> Why to have raid-5 for system? do you have so small disks and so many of
> data on it? If not, downsize it, convert it to raid-1 and use remaining disk
> for another cache_dir.

My Squid runs on a firewall, and mail server, which I have had issues
with losing disks, and having to start the entire build from scratch,
causing me problems and downtime for the rebuild, and new parts was
unacceptable. I have had the unit on RAID 5 and have a hot spare
available with it and haven't had any downtime since. That is the only
reason I have it set up like that.

~Seann