Re: [squid-users] negative_ttl & squid 3.1

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:34:33 +1200

Calvin Park wrote:
> Hello squid users~
>
> I am using on squid 3.1.4 , and I need to cache about 404 code.
>
> In squid 2.7 , there have rule like "refresh_pattern . 0 20%
> 4320 negative_ttl=xxx"
>
> When can I use negative_ttl syntax in squid 3.1 ?

negative-ttl=N is an option for Squid caching of helper process lookups
and similar when the lookups can be cached.

Force-caching HTTP 404 pages is a very bad idea. It is done with a
negative_ttl gobal option which caches ALL 4xx and 5xx pages which Squid
receives. It extends an artificial DoS against all clients using the
proxy if one single user hits a temporary upstream problem.

404 pages should come with useful cache-control expiry information that
allows them to be stored for a short while anyway. No special action is
required in the 3.1 to cache these HTTP-compliant pages for the proper
time (unless you have negative_ttl set, in which case you need to remove
it for their caching headers to work properly).

Amos

--
Please be using