[squid-users] fakeauth_auth for logging on Ubuntu builds

From: rscho <rudi.schoebel_at_ecogen.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

We've used SquidNT 2.7 using the fakeauth_auth helper to log users requests
without authentication. It silently gets the user name without the browser
having to request the user to supply credentials, which is what we require.

We're trying to move to a Ubuntu server and none of the pre-built binaries
include fakeauth_auth. We'd prefer not to have to compile our own squid
because our IT policy states we must remain compliant with Ubuntus' apt-get
update mechanism.

To get around this we've written c & python helpers that can extract the
username and supply "OK user=UserName" to squid, but not without the browser
prompting the user for this information. Is there a way without
fakeauth_auth to have squid or a helper silently obtain the username from a
users browser?

Any pointers, links or examples would much appreciated.