Re: [squid-users] Will Delayed Pools to help with squid fetching content?

From: Leonardo Carneiro <chesterman86_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:11:43 -0300

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> Etienne Philip Pretorius wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> I am running Squid Cache: Version 3.1.3. and I wanted to cache windows
>>> updates and applied the suggested settings from
>>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate but now I am experiencing
>>> another problem.
>>>
>>> It seems that while I am able to cache any partial downloaded files with
>>> squid now, I am flat-lining my break out onto the Internet. I just wanted to
>>> check here before attempting to implement delayed pools. As I see it, it is
>>> squid fetching the file at maximum speed possible.
>>>
>>> So my question is, if I implement delayed pools for the client connections
>>> - will squid also fetch the files at those reduced rates?
>>
>> Not directly. Squid will still fetch the files it has to at full speed.
>> However, indirectly the clients will be delayed in their downloads so will
>> spread their followup requests out over a longer time span than without
>> delays.
>
> I remember and old thread about a similar situation: it was a person
> who was trying to use squid for an ISP, but subscriber connections are
> a lot slower than ISP's connection to the Internet, and so: when a
> client started a download for a 600MB file, squid would fetch the
> whole file using a lot of bandwidth, and the client would not even be
> at 10% of the download, so.... if the client decided to cancel the
> download at say, 25%, there would be a lot of wasted bandwidth.
>
> Can that situation be corrected with delay pools? or, what do you need
> to correct that?  The desired behavior is that squid actually follows
> the download at the speed of the fastest client!, instead of its
> connection to the Internet.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ildefonso Camargo

I think this kind of bandwidth limitation you're aiming shoud be done
with layer 3 and 4 tools, like queues etc. Otherwise, there will be
wasted bandwidth, like you said.

But i also have a doubt. Will the delay pools be applied when the
request is a cache or mem hit or only when the request is a miss?