Re: [squid-users] cache_peer and acl random problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 02:17:41 +1200

Jenny Lee wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am trying to load-balance a username among 2 parents and the cache itself (direct).
>
> I have:
>
> [auth_param parts snipped, username works fine]
>
> acl 33PERCENT random 1/3
> acl TESTUSER proxy_auth TESTUSER
>
> cache_peer 2.2.2.3 parent 4444 0 proxy-only name=P2 login=PASS
> cache_peer 2.2.2.4 parent 4444 0 proxy-only name=P3 login=PASS
>
> cache_peer_access P2 allow TESTUSER 33PERCENT
> cache_peer_access P3 allow TESTUSER 33PERCENT
>
> cache_peer_access P2 deny all
> cache_peer_access P3 deny all
>

> I can't seem to get this working. I surely must be overlooking something.

Are you running the 3.HEAD development (alpha release) code which
supports the random ACL?

check the particular HEIR codes being logged, I'm not sure what to
expect under these circumstances but I suspect you are getting a mix of
FIRST_UP_PARENT, DIRECT and something else. For this to work you are
wanting only one of the parent selection algorithms to work in addition
to DIRECT.

> How can I make the username go from 2 parents and cache itself (direct) randomly?

The traditional way is still easy...

Setup a non-caching gateway instance which does the load balancing
between the two parents and a local caching instance.

If you have the 3.HEAD code for random ACL you could also try out the
new worker-based equivalent to the above....
  One worker process-id on the localhost+caching, and another on the
public port + random ACL + peers to balance between localhost parent
and the parents. :)

Amos

--
Please be using