[squid-users] Randomly assign OUTGOING ip in SQUID PROXY

From: Michelle Dawson <itbabe87_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 04:59:26 -0400

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the mail archive on this subject but the issue
hasn't been resolved so far so I would like to ask again if something
has change or some one figured it out.

Is it possible to assign an random round-robin outgoing_tcp_ip in the
config file for every connection attempt in SQUID?

We are currently trying to set something like this:

tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.400
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.401
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.402
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.403
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.404
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.405
tcp_outgoing_address 100.200.300.405
balance_on_multiple_ip on

* IPs are made up for security reasons

But its not working, because its always selecting the first one from
the list, probably because its working fine and thus ignoring
everything else. I understand that we can use ACL's to assign when the
IP's are going to be used such as in the morning / evening, by
specific users, by specific incoming IPs etc. but we really like to
assign the outgoing IP address randomly without linking it to specific
users or ip addresses.

How could we achieve this?

Thank you for your help.

Michelle D.