Re: [squid-users] RE: EXTERNAL: Re: [squid-users] Clients issuing URLs directly to Squid port, URL rewrite to t

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:31:11 +1200

Bucci, David G wrote:
>> Is this a further complication on top of the other thread we are
>> discussing SSL links?
>
> Yes ... all boiling back to us not being allowed to alter proxy settings on the PC. They want us to install a proxy, but won't let us change proxy settings, go figure. My original thought had been, ok, we'll redeploy the web services on e.g. port 8081 on the server (they'll let us do that), then use the equivalent of iptables on the PC to redirect outgoing calls to 8081 to 3128. But, to my surprise (I'm a Linux guy), Windows doesn't /have/ anything like iptables built in (not even the server versions, unbelievably), and you can't redirect ports without writing a network driver or buying e.g. a bandwidth-shaping app. Not an option for us.
>
> Hence the rube Goldberg I described below. I'm being told that there are no URLs buried in the XML/headers, nor in any replies coming back, that the only thing the web service URL is used for is straight HTTP addressing.
>
> These are .Net apps, and I'm being told there might be a way to set proxying just for the app, in what sounds like a .Net deployment descriptor of some kind. Hopefully that pans out, so I don't have to tempt Murphy on this.
>
> Thx for answering!

Are you allowed to change or get things added to the hosts file?

You could add the domain there and make it resolve to localhost. With
the proxy listening on localhost:80 using a reverse-proxy config (at the
child end [Squid C in our other discussions]).

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.1