[squid-users] Squid & Samba & IE8

From: Mike Diggins <mike.diggins_at_mcmaster.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:54:40 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

OS: RHEL 5.3 64 Bit
Squid: squid-2.7.STABLE9
Samba: samba-3.3.12

I have Squid running with NTLM authentication using the Samba Winbind
interface along with NTLM_AUTH. In most cases it works correctly.
Computers running IE and FF that log into my domain authenticate
automatically. Computers that don't log into my domain use BASIC
authentication and are prompted for login credentials, and that works fine
in most cases. The exception seems to be IE 8. I have a laptop with Win XP
SP3 and IE8 which prompts for my username and password and works
correctly. I have another Win7 laptop running IE8 that prompts for my
login id, but won't accept it UNLESS I type the domain/ first, for example
DOMAIN/diggins. That works but I don't want to type the domain in. Any
idea why it's doing that?

-Mike