[squid-users] Best practice for cache_dir

From: Tony Mallin <tonymallin_at_stridetreglown.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:17:00 +0100

Hello

I'm using squid in a 200 user environment, processing approximately 50GB of traffic per day.

Setup:

ESXi host, VM with 2 vCPUs assigned, 2gb ram, 40GB hdd space (stored on a SANS, speed shouldn’t be an issue)

I was wondering what the general opinion was for cache-related settings were in this sort of environment.

Config relevant to caching:

Cache_mem 300 MB
Cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 51200 64 255

A couple of thoughts I had:

I already know that 51200 is over the total size of the hd assigned ,I need to either lower that value (would performance be hindered by lowering it?) or get a second drive attached and use that.

So here come a few questions:

For the traffic and setup I have, is lowering this, to say, 25000 64 255 safe to do?
Would there be any benefit to having it on a separate drive?
Does bigger cache equal better performance in the long run?

Thanks in advance

Summer 2010 Architext Now Available -
http://www.stridetreglown.co.uk/architextsum2010.php
-
15th in this year's AJ Top 100...more info -
http://www.stridetreglown.co.uk/aj1002010.php

--
Stride Treglown may monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for the purposes of security
Registered Office: Promenade House, The Promenade, Clifton Down, Bristol, BS8 3NE