Re: [squid-users] 2.7 STABLE 9 responds very slowly or stops responding

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:45:09 +1200

TJM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For last 3 days I had weird problems with Squid 2.7 stable 9.
> I'm running that version since it was released and it worked just fine
> for these few months.
>
> Then suddenly users behind the proxy started to report serious slowdowns
> or downtimes.
>
> This is a very low volume proxy with less than 30 users, set-up mostly
> to save bandwidth during peak hours.
> I'm using it myself everyday, so when the last slowdown started I was
> able to look at the logs almost immediately.
>
> When the slowdown event starts, usually the proxy almost stops
> responding - for example, if I open new tab in a brower and enter URL,
> it might take several minutes until it starts loading and then it might
> take another couple of minutes since the page loads completely (if it
> does at all).
> It lasts for a while, sometimes it will just go away without restarting
> the proxy, sometimes not.
> During the slowdown, any requests made do not appear in the access log
> until the squid handles the request, which as I mentioned above might
> take several minutes.
> Also, during last slowdown I've found weird log entries in the
> access.log, a sample from access log, 10.0.0.4 is the cache IP address:
>
> 1281379957.060 899446 10.0.0.4 TCP_MISS/504 227 POST
> http://10.0.0.4:3128/p4s - DIRECT/10.0.0.4 text/html
> 1281379957.060 899446 10.0.0.4 TCP_MISS/504 227 POST
> http://10.0.0.4:3128/p4s - DIRECT/10.0.0.4 text/html
> 1281379957.060 899445 10.0.0.4 TCP_MISS/504 227 POST
> http://10.0.0.4:3128/p4s - DIRECT/10.0.0.4 text/html
> 1281379957.060 899445 10.0.0.4 TCP_MISS/504 227 POST
> http://10.0.0.4:3128/p4s - DIRECT/10.0.0.4 text/html
> 1281379957.060 899445 10.0.0.4 TCP_MISS/504 227 POST
> http://10.0.0.4:3128/p4s - DIRECT/10.0.0.4 text/html
>

> Also, the cache.log complains about cache running out of file
> descriptors. Where should I look at to find what's the cause of this

Yes. That is to be expected if Squid is being forced to loop requests to
itself for extremely long durations. (Squid holds 3+ FD per request).

> problem ? I doubt that it's the config itself, because the proxy was
> running fine for like 7-8 years, upgraded everytime when stable version
> came out.

The strange requests are the proxy machine sending a post to its own
public listening port. Which relays through to ... one guess.

So question is what other POST requests are there that match that path
but don't come from the proxy machine itself? It's highly likely that
client is performing these requests.

Check your "via" directive is turned on. Something is permitting these
requests to last for over 10 minutes. The config needs to be corrected
to catch and blocking them quickly. Then monitor the cache.log for loop
warnings to see when it happens.

If you have a transparent proxy check that the port your firewall passes
traffic to is NOT accessible to general users. Separate ports for the
interception and for regular access are good.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.1