Re: [squid-users] 2.7 STABLE 9 responds very slowly or stops responding

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:23:59 +1200

TJM wrote:
> Hello again :D
>
> I have spent some time debugging my squid.
> Yep, it runs as a transparent proxy. The transparent port is different
> than 'user' port, but it was not blocked in any way. I changed that and
> also tweaked a few more things. So far everything works.
>
> Could the problem be caused by hardware failure ? One of my SATA disks
> died today, suddenly crashed and it does not work anymore. Of course,
> this disk contained SQUID's cache. Perhaps it was quietly dying for last
> few days, however I checked all the logs I could find and didn't find
> any complains against disk read/writes.

Speed issues could be explained as disk death. Those requests are
software issues somewhere. The via setting should clear them up.

> Btw, is there any way to find how many FDs are in use ? I have a feeling
> that my cache does not use more than 100-200 at any time (unless
> something is wrong). From time to time SQUID dumps a complain to the
> cache.log about request too long or something and it shows FD, it was
> never higher than 100 during normal operation.

For a quick check the cachemgr info page or "squidclient mgr:info"
command line shows a spot-check summary of the most useful/important
stats. FD, hit ratios, cache size, memory, service times etc.

For deeper monitoring there is SNMP counters that can be graphed or
whatever.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp

Amos

--