Re: [squid-users] Fwd: %path% in acl list squid 2.6

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:09:15 +0000

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:08:00 +0530, sushi squid <sushi.squid_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Amos & John,
> I am glad that you all are replying so fast....(at least faster than me
> coming back and checking the solution :) )
>
> I have few doubts with both Amos and John's reply and a new question
>
> @Amos's solution : Mine is a transparent proxy sorry i didn't mention
that
> last time ... and i read that proxy_auth wont work with transparent
proxy
> settings, i also read that there has to be an external authentication
> program ....but i didn't understand it should check the authentication
of
> which credentials
> I just want that for each user a different blocklist/whitelist is
> used(without the user being asked for password).

Given that:
 * you earlier said this was on Windows XP
 * the use of %userprofile% variable indicates that it is running directly
on the box the user is logged into with their profile in the main registry
view.
 * NAT interception ("transparent") is not available in the supported
Squid releases
 * access to NAT tables on Windows requires replacing the whole networking
stack anyway
 What do you mean by transparent then?

> @John's solution : i didn't understand what you meant by "i have to
manage
> the whitelist on my own" ??
>
> The new question is ... about fail-safe with squid...
> I want to use 2 servers, one for fail-safe
> so is this configuration right ??
>
> cache_peer IPAdressOfMainServer parent 3128 0 default
> cache_peer IPAdressOfFail-SafeServer sibilling 3128 0
proxy-only

> and then do i need to add the names to the dns_nameservers
>
> dns_nameservers IPAdressOfMainServer
> dns_nameservers IPAdressOfFail-SafeServer
>
> cache_peer is mainly for load balancing ....will this setting work??

One question at a time please.

You can work on building more complex systems after you sort out the
fundamental question of who is and is not allowed access and how to
identify them.