[squid-users] proxy 'busy' too often: (errmsg: firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is not responding)

From: Linda Walsh <squid-user_at_tlinx.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:07:30 -0700

This may be a basic question, but 'more often than I would like',
if I try browse 'too fast' I will see a message from firefox about
it being configured to use a proxy which is not responding.

All I have to do is reload that page, and it loads -- i.e. it's a
temporary problem, but it's annoying and time wasting. It happens
when I've opened more than one link in background and squid can't
keep up with the freshly opened links of more than one page.

Obviously, this isn't a squid problem, its a 'user-configuration' problem,
since squid handles alot larger loads than 1 user opening web-pages
very fast, sequentially! Is there some number of threads some place that
I should be looking to 'turn up'?

FWIW, I config & gen my own squid (from some recent branch -- varies
by whether or not I'm seeing some problem and have pulled source to see
if it is fixed (usually is) before reporting it. But this seems a bit
to uncertain to leave entirely to chance. I'll include my config options
below, in case something there glaringly stands out as lame.

Thanks for any ideas... It happens *infrequently*. But it shouldn't
be happening "at all", so that's why I'm wondering if I have
something misconfigured.

Thanks!
Linda

(configure script follows)

export CFLAGS="-fgcse-after-reload -fpredictive-commoning
-frename-registers -ftracer -fbranch-target-load-optimize
-fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -march=native"
export CCFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

configure --enable-disk-io --enable-async-io=48 --enable-storeio
--enable-removal-policies --disable-htcp --enable-ssl
--disable-ident-lookups --enable-external-acl-helpers --with-dl
--with-large-files --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/squid
--bindir=/usr/sbin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/sbin
--datadir=/usr/share/squid --libdir=/usr/lib64 --localstatedir=/var
--enable-ecap --with-default-user=squid --enable-icap-client
--enable-referer-log --disable-wccp --disable-wccpv2 --disable-snmp
--enable-cachemgr-hostname --disable-eui --enable-delay-pools
--enable-useragent-log --enable-zph-qos --enable-linux-netfilter
--disable-translation --with-aufs-threads=32 --disable-strict-error-checking