[squid-users] Configure cache-peers so that "correct" parent is favored

From: Bucci, David G <david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:39:43 -0400

Hi - sorry if this is in the FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find it - how do you configure your caching hierarchy so that certain parents will be favored for addresses to certain domains, while still permitting routing through other parents for redundancy?

We have SERVER1 and SERVER2, each running Squid, and each also hosting web services. We're configuring Squid on each PC to have both as parents (for redundancy), but since the services on SERVER1 are local calls from the proxy instance on SERVER1, instead of round-robining, we would like for URL calls to the services on SERVER1 to be routed to the Squid on SERVER1, unless SERVER1 is down (in which case, SERVER2 should receive the calls, to provide redundancy).

Tia!

----
David G. Bucci
Lockheed Martin IS&GS, Gaithersburg MD
240.668.4024 (unclass) 851.4384 (class) david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com (unclass) david.bucci_at_gdit.com (AIT unclass) gsdgb01_at_geoscout.ndn.nga.ic.gov (JWICS)
877.547.9681 or dabooch_at_skytel.com Pager Telecon Dial-in:  800.729.0918 PIN 541458#
   (610.354.1200 if in Lockheed Martin building)
When Dr. Bruce Banner becomes angry, he changes into the Incredible Hulk; when the Incredible Hulk becomes angry, he changes into Chuck Norris.
                                                  -- ChuckNorrisFacts.com