[squid-users] TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED/304

From: Jürgen Winkler <juergen.winkler_at_xidras.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:07:52 +0200

  Hi,

i hope somebody can explain this to me , becaus i can?t explain this
behavior.

We are using squid as an reverse proxy in version 3.1.4.

when i open a website in firefox the first time in the squid access.log
i can see that there is nothing cached , an he is geting the content
from the backend.

Now it?s cached in squid and also in the browsercache.

Then the second visite, in the proxy log file i can see a
TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED/304

and the request is send to the back-end.

But why, the proxy has the file in it?s cache, why is the request passed
thru to the backend.

As far as i tested it this is onely happening with firefox and crome,
when i do the same with opera an ie the log says :

TCP_IMS_HIT/304

and the request in not passed to the back-end.

Is there anything I can do to avoid that the request that do a
TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED/304 are send to the back ends ??

Thx for the help.