[squid-users] Cutomizable Bandwidth Allocation

From: Isaac NickAein <nickaein.i_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:01:19 +0430

I have installed squid server as a proxy server for a small network in
office and configured it to dedicate 100KB/s for each computer (by
leaky buckets)

But sometimes (e.g. when the office is solitude) the users need more
bandwidth (temporary). I figured out three ways to solve this problem:

1- Defining some user/passwords for squid server and allocating more
bandwidth for authenticated users (with ACLs).

This solution is not practical because the users can always use that
user/password and always get more bandwidth, so it is not temporary.

2- Modifying the squid.conf file to give more bandwidth to special
computers and reverting it back when the user is done.

This solution solves the problem and bandwidth allocation is under
control of Admin, But modifying squid.conf is not simple and trivial.

3- I heard about webmin which is a tool that simplifies squid
configuration but don't test it. Does that solve my problem?

Is there any other options to allocate more bandwidth temporary for computers?