[squid-users] Re: Re: Squid 3.0 STABLE 19 and SPNEGO with Windows Firefox 3.6.3

From: Markus Moeller <huaraz_at_moeller.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 21:00:51 +0100

Hi Paul,

  Does your environment provide WINS server details via DHCP to the desktops
? I think in theory it should work as follows:

  1) User connects to proxy which requests negotiate
  2) The browser does not have any tickets and has not joined a domain to
use NTLM so prompts the user
  3) The user provides user_at_DOMAIN and password
  4) Desktop tries to find Kerberos kdc locally using NetBIOS or with WINS
  5) Desktop will send AS-REQ to kdc
  6) Desktop will send TGS-REQ to kdc
  7) Browser will send token to squid.

   This would mean that Firefox does have a problem at step 4) and creates
an NTLM token for DESKTOP\User

Markus

"Paul Freeman" <paul.freeman_at_eml.com.au> wrote in message
Markus
I will try and answer your questions in-line below. Please let me know if
there is any other information or testing you would like me to do.

I appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Paul

I have watched the traffic from prior to launching Firefox to the end of the
Firefox session. I have not seen any Kerberos related traffic from the
Windows client.

I have the MS Kerberos tools installed and kerbtray does not show any
tickets
- Client Principal field says "No network credentials".

Strangely (maybe not???), there are also no tickets shown even while
successfully using IE as a non-domain user.

> >In the Firefox log, just before the GET request, it shows:
> >
> >service = fqdn.of.squid.proxy
> >using negotiate-sspi
> >using SPN of [HTTP/fqdn.of.squid.proxy]]
> >AcquireCredentailsHandle() succeeded
> >nsHttpNegotiateAuth:: GenerateCredentials_1_9_2() [challenge=Negotiate]
> >entering nsAuthSSPI::GetNextToken()
> >InitializeSecurityContext: continue
> >Sending a token of length 40
> >
> >Then after sending the GET request and receiving the Squid 407
> response it
> >shows:
> >nsHttpNegotiateAuth:: GenerateCredentials_1_9_2() [challenge=Negotiate]
> >entering nsAuthSSPI::GetNextToken()
> >Cannot restart authentication sequence!
> >

> Does Firefox work after you used IE ? e.g. does IE cache credentials
> which
> can be used by Firefox ?

Firefox does not work after using IE or even while IE is still running as a
non-domain user.

> Do you see any Kerberos traffic ? Do you see DNS SRV requests to
> determine
> the kdc ?

I have not seen any Kerberos related traffic or DNS SRV requests on the
client when Firefox is running.

database 5429 (20100906) __________

http://www.eset.com