Re: [squid-users] NTLM not working for squid in windows server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:23:12 +1200

On 10/09/10 05:21, José Carlos Correia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/25/2010 01:22 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:22:09 +0100, José Carlos Correia
>> <jcorreia_at_tintadigital.com> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have installed Squid in Windows 2008 with NTLM authentication but the
>>> browser still prompts for login.
>>>
>>> I read in the forums that NTLM won't work if:
>>> "- the client is not joined to a domain
>>> - the client is configured not to attempt automatica authentication to
>>> the proxy
>>> - the clients is not MSIE or Firefox (not sure about other browsers)"
>> That last point is false. WMP and Java apps are known to do NTLM.
>> There is no reason other browsers on windows can't do it too.
> In this environment all clients are MSIE.
>> Add to that list:
>> - if the server closes the connection all the time behind HTTP/1.0
>> proxies (ie Squid).
> I don't think this is happening on this case.
>>> In this case, Squid is replacing an ISA Server. NTLM was working with
>>> the ISA server but without any changes to the clients (just replacing
>>> the ISA Server by Squid) NTLM doesn't work.
>>>
>>> The only situation where the browser doesn't prompt for authentication
>>> is when the server is added to the Trusted Zone and IE is configured
>>> with Automatic login. But this won't necessary with the ISA Server.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jose Carlos Correia
>> There has been a lot of testing and checking of NTLM and persistent
>> connections recently in exactly this area. Squid-3.1.7 contains a
>> number of
>> fixes.
> Squid is running on Windows Server (2003 and 2008) and it's not an easy
> task to compile it. I didn't find any binary distribution after 2.7.
> I've been trying to compile it without success although I didn't find
> any document saying clearly that 3.1.X versions can be compiled on windows.

Ah, we have had people contribute build fixes for 3.x every so often.
But all I've seen prior to your interest was one complaint that even
when built on cygwin 3.x wont run on windows.

Guido from Acme is the only one of the developers with the licenses
required to build on Windows. His last message was that for some long
time they had seen zero interest from the Windows community on
supporting future releases. (hint)

  There seems to be more people with interest running Squid on
non-Windows boxes inside the Windows network. Squid can certinly support
a few more useful features (with higher performance) when its not
running on Windows OS.

Amos

--
Please be using