Re: [squid-users] ntlm and internet explorer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 02:43:17 +0000

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:25:02 -0500, Terry <td3201_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Isaac NickAein <nickaein.i_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> How about Digest authentication?
>>
>> Does digest is as weak as NTLM?

Digest has security-level extensions that can be dialed from "session"
equivalent to a slightly safer Basic auth, all the way up to the latest
brand new encryption nobody has heard of yet.

I mention Kerberos as its a polished up replacement for NTLM and within
the NTLM admins confort zone.

>> and another question:
>>
>> Is it possible to use Kerberos (actually Negotiate) protocol for squid
>> user authentication in a network without any Active Directory or
>> Domain?

Credentials to where? Someone called foo sends you a key "fob". With what
reason do you trust them?

In theory yes. Reality? not sure. It is possible to use Kerberos on a
ZeroConf network provided the machines all know each others keys before
connecting.

The old NTLM domain-less helper was a domain server in its own right,
which Squid was running and therefore could trust. Remember that horrible
double-407 handshake in you access.logs? the first 407 was Squid fooling
the client into trusting it as they would a Domain server.

>>> The fact that NTLM has been obsolete for 8 years now? It's encryption
>>> schemes were demonstrated to be decrypted in under 15 minutes with a
>>> standard consumer desktop as of a year or so ago.
>>> Microsoft have declared is deprecated in favor of Kerberos back in the
>>> early stages of Vista and all their newer software attempts to do
>>> Kerberos
>>> instead. IE8 and Windows 7 are known to have NTLM fully disabled by
>>> default, with some hoop-jumping needed to open up those hole again.
>>>
>>> *Please* look at upgrading your network to Negotiate/Kerberos. It's
much
>>> more secure, faster and very much less resource hungry than NTLM.
>>>
>>> Amos
>>>

> Clearly I'm not up to par on my authentication technologies. If it's
> that old, why is it still an example on the website? I'll check into
> Kerberos as I use that in other areas for linux/windows
> authentication.

Because IE6 and WinXP servers are dying off so slowly and some people
still need it.

Amos