RE: [squid-users] Strange performance effects on squid during off peak hours

From: Martin Sperl <Martin.Sperl_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:53:04 +0100

Hi Amos!

Thanks for your feedback.

> Squid is still largely IO event driven. If the network IO is less than
> say 3-4 req/sec Squid can have a queue of things waiting to happen which
> get delayed a long time (hundreds of ms) waiting to be kicked off.
> Your overview seems to show that behaviour clearly.
>
> There have been some small improvements and fixes to several of the
> lagging things but I think its still there in even the latest Squid.

Here the Hit/s statistics on this specific server for the time:
+------+-------+-------+
| h | allHPS| cssART|
+------+-------+-------+
| 0 | 48.34 | 0.016 |
| 1 | 49.80 | 0.015 |
| 2 | 49.01 | 0.015 |
| 3 | 47.08 | 0.018 |
| 4 | 17.34 | 0.024 |
| 5 | 4.00 | 0.042 |
| 6 | 0.52 | 0.054 |
| 7 | 9.02 | 0.034 |
| 8 | 7.18 | 0.038 |
| 9 | 8.25 | 0.035 |
| 10 | 9.45 | 0.034 |
| 11 | 14.71 | 0.030 |
| 12 | 23.94 | 0.023 |
| 13 | 31.04 | 0.021 |
| 14 | 35.02 | 0.020 |
| 15 | 38.87 | 0.019 |
| 16 | 40.92 | 0.019 |
| 17 | 43.39 | 0.017 |
| 18 | 45.62 | 0.016 |
| 19 | 47.58 | 0.017 |
| 20 | 51.91 | 0.014 |
| 21 | 53.65 | 0.014 |
| 22 | 40.87 | 0.016 |
| 23 | 47.40 | 0.016 |

So to summarize it: we need to keep the number of hits above 30 hits/s for squid, so that we get an acceptable Response time.

I believe it will need some convincing of management to get this assumption tested in production ;)

One other Question: is squid 3.1 "better" in this respect than 3.0?

Thanks,
        Martin