RE: [squid-users] Problem accessing a particular site through squid

From: Seb Harrington <seb_at_longhill.brighton-hove.sch.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:52:35 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Amos Jeffries [mailto:squid3_at_treenet.co.nz]
Sent: 15 September 2010 15:21
To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Problem accessing a particular site through
squid

On 15/09/10 23:24, Seb Harrington wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a problem when accessing http://smallsteps4life.direct.gov.uk/
> through squid.
>
> When accessing the site directly the site is properly formatted, when
> accessing through squid the site appears 'unformatted', some of the
> images do not load and it looks as if the CSS has not been applied.
>
> I thought this behaviour was a little strange so I've tested it on two

> more instances of squid, one a default fresh install allowing
> everything through (the all acl).
>
> When accessing the site these are the logs:
> access.log: http://pastebin.com/HtkyfjUJ
> store.log: http://pastebin.com/0NjnDZzW
> cache.log: did not output anything useful or informative.
>
> I'm using the ubuntu version of squid3 (apt-get squid3) and I'm using
> ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
>
> Squid version: Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE19 <snip> Could someone

>please run that website through their version of squid for me and let
>me know if this is a squid issue, a website issue or a bug in the
>ubuntu packaged version of squid.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Seb

Hi Amos,

Thanks for the reply,

>That trace from the "working" squid? There is zero CSS in it. Just
>JavaScript files that generate page content on the fly. Most of the
content seems to be going through HTTPS which passes straight through
Squid.

That was the trace from squid fresh installed from apt-get in ubuntu. I
wanted to try a fresh installation so I prove that it was / was not
squid causing the website to display incorrectly. It is showing the same
behaviour as the production squid proxy.

> The all ACL working where regular config catches only some occasional
> files makes me think either those files are on a domain being blocked,
or you have regex patterns that are catching more than you are aware of.

The squid conf as being used on the fresh installed squid is here:
http://pastebin.com/5QTAL2px

All I've changed is I've uncommented the acl all src all on line # 578
and changed http_access allow all on line # 629. I have made no other
modifications, and the site still displays incorrectly. Any other ideas?

That is a very valid point about the CSS, I've looked at the source of
the webpage and all CSS/JS seems to come from the same domian and
subdomian, but it is weired that the CSS isn't coming through the in the
logs.

Cheers,

Seb

This email carries a disclaimer, a copy of which may be read at http://learning.longhill.org.uk/disclaimer