[squid-users] Squid 3.1.6, Kerberos and strange browser auth behavior

From: Aleksandar Ciric <aciric79_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have a Gentoo server with 3.1.6 Squid. I have setup Kerberos authentication with our AD server that works correctly when accessed from domain member computer.
However when I access it from (fully updated) Windows XP computer that is not a member of a domain I get a prompt in IE8, I fill the prompt but have to acknowledge it 3 time in a row until I am granted access. Wireshark shows that IE8 successfully goes through AS-REQ/AS-REP TGS-REQ/TGS-REP on each prompt acknowledgement. It sends same ticket (according to version number) along with GET request but is let through only on 3rd attempt.

Chrome behaves a bit differently, it goes through AS-REQ/AS-REP TGS-REQ/TGS-REP only once, but only upon hitting refresh 3rd time (on 3rd GET) it gets through (as with IE, it does send ticket on first 2 GETs too).

Firefox does't even get to try it, it as other browsers tries NTLM on startup but gives up upon failure and doesn't switch to Kerberos, however it works fine when user is logged in with domain credentials.

I have similar working test setup on Fedora 10, with 3.0.22 Squid and there is no such behavior noticed, so it cant be the clients fault. (same config setting both for Kerberos and Squid, same AD). It actually runs on my desktop machine while Gentoo one is VM on VmWare Infrastructure. Both machines are similar specs, VM one being even faster (3ghz XEON with 2GB RAM).
I am puzzled as to what might be reason for this behavior, any help would be more than welcome?

Cira