[squid-users] "proper" way to restart squid on Ubuntu 10.04

From: GravyFace <gravyface_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:55:37 -0400

Hello,

Have squid up and running (from the Ubuntu repo, not sure the version
at the moment but assume it's the latest stable) with a whitelist
(/etc/squid/whitelist) and all is well.

Today I went to add a domain to the whitelist, assumed that the squid
process needed to be restarted, so I issued: sudo /etc/init.d/squid
restart. Some blah blah re: using upstart instead of the "old" init,
but below it said it could not restart.

I could run: sudo /etc/init.d/squid start or sudo service squid start
after and sure enough it would start ok, but just that restart didn't
seem to work.

Does editing the whitelist file (or any conf file) stop squid? How
should I be restarting it?

My apologies for the lack of details, but I'm off-site at the moment
and don't have access to the proxy server.