Re: [squid-users] "proper" way to restart squid on Ubuntu 10.04

From: GravyFace <gravyface_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:03:16 -0400

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:55:37 -0400, GravyFace <gravyface_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have squid up and running (from the Ubuntu repo, not sure the version
>> at the moment but assume it's the latest stable) with a whitelist
>> (/etc/squid/whitelist) and all is well.
>>
>> Today I went to add a domain to the whitelist, assumed that the squid
>> process needed to be restarted, so I issued: sudo /etc/init.d/squid
>> restart.  Some blah blah re: using upstart instead of the "old" init,
>> but below it said it could not restart.
>>
>> I could run: sudo /etc/init.d/squid start or sudo service squid start
>> after and sure enough it would start ok, but just that restart didn't
>> seem to work.
>>
>> Does editing the whitelist file (or any conf file) stop squid?
>
> No. Squid does not (yet) monitor it's data files for changes.
>
>>  How
>> should I be restarting it?
>
> init.d is normal. Your system seems to have been converted to upstart
> though if that "blah blah" is what I think it is.
>
> Either if those tow should be fine. Whichever was used to start Squid in
> the first place is best.
>
> Amos

Well, see that's the problem: I can verify that it was working, but
when I run /etc/init.d/squid restart, it says something along the
lines of "can't restart" as I'm assuming the process is stopped and
not restarted. Following this with /etc/init.d/squid start (or
service squid start) it starts up fine.

At home here on Ubuntu 8.10 (Squid 2.7 STABLE3) /etc/init.d/squid
restart is fine; can't reproduce. Tomorrow when I'm on-site I'll do
some explicit tests and report back.