Re: [squid-users] "proper" way to restart squid on Ubuntu 10.04

From: GravyFace <gravyface_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:13:04 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, Jordon,
>
> Du meintest am 29.09.10:
>
>>> Right, so it shall be, you are wrong too, because you should be
>>> using start-stop-daemon which is more graceful on a Debian system.
>>> Not that you would know that since you are too busy telling people
>>> they are wrong, also the easy way to reload on Debian: sudo service
>>> squid3 reload.  Go read an init file, k thnxbai.
>
>> Sorry, small correction, I should have said "Debian based" since
>> Debian still relies on invoke-rc.d not upstart.  Either way,
>> substitute service with: service, /etc/init.d/ and invoke-rc.d which
>> ever you so choose.
>
> And the simple way is
>
>        squid -k reconfigure
>
> Why learning those distribution specific (proprietary) additional ways?
>
>        squid --help
>
> works in every distribution.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Thanks all for the input. My subject was poorly phrased, yes.

The issue is that squid does not seem to be restarting gracefully,
regardless of whether I use /etc/init.d/squid restart or service squid
restart: it failed with (something like) unknown process which to me
implies that squid wasn't running, even though I knew it was as I was
using the proxy through a browser several moments before editing the
whitelist (and why I asked if editing the whitelist file would've
stopped the process, unlikely as that would be).

Obviously it's starting ok on boot, so I'll take a look at the rc*.d
and see if there's any discrepancies.