Re: [squid-users] Only 23% of traf is cached. Config problem?

From: Jordon Bedwell <jordon_at_envygeeks.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:54:12 -0500

On 09/29/2010 03:47 PM, George Herbert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
> <Ralf.Hildebrandt_at_charite.de> wrote:
>> * Andrei<funactivities_at_gmail.com>:
>>> These are my Squid stats. I have about 23% of cache hits.
>>
>> I have four squid machines, an the Request hit rate average is at:
>> 29.3%, 27.2%, 27.4% and 26.7% (last 24h)
>>
>> So your values could be a bit better.
>
> As the userbase size increases the cache hits will increase.
>
> It took literally slightly over 1 million users at the prior site I
> ran Squid for to get slightly over 50% cache hits. 23% for a small
> site (300 users) is reasonable, depending on the workload and how much
> of the sites are all-dynamic content which can't be cached.

Dynamic is subjective. What the world considers dynamic most of the is
actually dynamically generated static content that rarely changes and
always wastes CPU time. I hardly consider one post a day dynamic and
unnecessary for sending "cache me" headers (to squid at least) for the
next 24 hours. You can cache all content, dynamic or not, it's just not
recommended, you can do it with squid or you can trick squid into
thinking it's not dynamic anyways, which is what we do on some our sites
for pages that we know rarely change.