Re: [squid-users] Only 23% of traf is cached. Config problem?

From: Jordon Bedwell <jordon_at_envygeeks.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:05:49 -0500

On 09/29/2010 04:02 PM, George Herbert wrote:
>> Dynamic is subjective. What the world considers dynamic most of the is
>> actually dynamically generated static content that rarely changes and always
>> wastes CPU time. I hardly consider one post a day dynamic and unnecessary
>> for sending "cache me" headers (to squid at least) for the next 24 hours.
>> You can cache all content, dynamic or not, it's just not recommended, you
>> can do it with squid or you can trick squid into thinking it's not dynamic
>> anyways, which is what we do on some our sites for pages that we know rarely
>> change.
>

> This is HIGHLY content-specific, and in many cases is horridly unsafe.
>
> Your mileage may vary. Know what your users are actually doing...

Oh yes, I highly agree, be careful when you experiment with this type of
caching because it can lead to unexpected insecure results. We don't
want Jim seeing Janes details after all. To add and to elaborate the
"dynamic static pages" we cache are simply about pages and direct blog
archives, everything else we force no caching with headers. I certainly
wouldn't personally recommend more than that (and only if they don't
have user specific content parts).