Re: [squid-users] 304 response preventing site from loading

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:50:45 +0000

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072421975/student_view0/index.html

> It is a school textbook site, and the menus will not load when going
> through proxy.
>

> We have a transparent proxy which uses WCCP2 from a Cisco Cat6500 to
> redirect the packets from the clients. I have also disabled wccp and
tried
> a manual proxy config from the browser. The only thing that works is a
SNAT
> from the client through our firewall, which isn't a solution for us.
>

> The squid log shows: (squid 2.6-20)
>

> 1285802182.732 403 10.3.0.144 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 186 GET

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072421975/student_view0/index.html -
> DIRECT/204.8.133.213 -
> 1285802182.906 160 10.3.0.144 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 185 GET
> http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olcweb/styles/v2/wheat/css.css -
> DIRECT/204.8.133.213 -

<snip a whole pile of apparently working requests>

Squid is asking for new data, the website server is reporting that Squid
copy is correct (304) and so Squid sends it to the client (HIT).

I can't tell from the log whether the client sent an IMS request to squid
or if it was created by Squid and the wrong reply sent back. That is an old
bug IIRC. Your Squid is quite old and this may be fixed in more recent
versions. Please try an upgrade and see if the problem remains.

Amos