[squid-users] Squid 3.1.6 and transparent mode: HTTPS

From: Boniforti Flavio <flavio_at_piramide.ch>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:39:15 +0200

Hello there.

I've been googling around and reading some list posts about using
transparent proxy with HTTPS (TCP 443) requests, but I didn't understand
if there *today* is a solution to it.

My goal is as follows: I want *every browser traffic* be transparently
caught by my squid proxy. None of my clients shall be able to surf
without passing through my squid setup, which I'll be using mainly for
filtering purposes (block domains). But my second purpose of squid, is
to generate webalizer stats which comprehend 100% of the web traffic.

My questions:

1) is it in any way possible to have HTTPS traffic (TCP port 443) be
intercepted and sent to my proxy?
2) which motivations are behind eventually *not* being able or not
needing to intercept that sort of traffic?
3) would I completely miss the traffic done in HTTPS in my webalizer
stats, if there'd be no way to have transparently proxied HTTPS
requests?

Ah, BTW: as I *do not* intend to cache HTTPS traffic/requests, would it
be easier to set up this sort of "logging/filtering"?

Thanks in advance.

Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21