Re: FW: [squid-users] How to Block ByPass proxy Sites......

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:30:09 +1300

On 05/10/10 23:44, John Dakos wrote:
> Kromonos thank you for your message.
>
> But I know this way with dstdom..... but the problem is... on web has a
> hundreds bypass proxy sites... this is no way for administrators. I spend a
> lot of time to search on google for bypass domains.

Indeed. It gets worse when you notice that proxies can sit at the other
end of HTTPS links, or nested in javascript inside a random page.

> Another idea ?

Alternatives:
  * Don't block.
  * pay someone to spend all their time identifying ways to keep your
blocks working.
  * Block the entire Internet and whitelist individual websites that you
have checked and approved. The logs of failed lookups are a good
starting point.
  * Pass the cost of all that time on to the users. That requires strong
usage policies which place hard penalties on people caught bypassing the
blocks and management backing to enforce those penalties.

  Large and powerful governments have tried to do what you ask and still
fail even with this last approach. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship for some other
techniques that have been tried.

Amos