Re: [squid-users] Squid to speed up my surfing?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:59:19 +0000

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:27:53 +0200, Simón <simon_at_simonbcn.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use squid in my home, it's for personal use. My unique intention
> to install Squid in my PC is to speed up my surfing with: cache (Squid),

> Precatching (squid-prefetch) and block advertising banners
> (bannerfilter). How can I measure if really this is to speed up my
surfing?

HIT ratios, same as any ISP measures. Every HIT in the Squid logs is one
object "sped up" and bandwidth saved. Compare as a % of total HIT+MISS.

> Do you know another program (proxy or similar) more optimum to
> this task for a home PC?

The web browser cache. Works the same way Squid does for caching, but can
theoretically do more since it's not having to delete things that might be
"shared" between multiple client PCs. Set it to have a large amount of
cache storage area to match what you would have given Squid.

Actual savings between squid+browser, just browser and just squid differ
by huge amounts depending on software versions and your website habits.
Squid only really starts to show large benefits with multiple PCs on the
LAN all sharing the cache or for some of the trickier routing actions.

Amos