[squid-users] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

From: david robertson <dr_at_nevernet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:52:43 -0400

Hello, I know this isn't specifically a squid thing, but I think it
might be semi-related.

I've currently got a Dell 6850 (16gb ram, 16 logical processors)
server set up, based on the 'one frontend, two backends' example on
squid-cache.org. Everything will be fine, but once the cache starts
getting 170+ inbound hits/sec, I get this in dmesg, and the load
shoots up on the server, causing squid to grind to a halt.

Out of socket memory
printk: 29 messages suppressed.
Out of socket memory
printk: 48 messages suppressed.
TCP: too many of orphaned sockets
printk: 53 messages suppressed.
Out of socket memory
printk: 53 messages suppressed.
TCP: too many of orphaned sockets
printk: 101 messages suppressed.
TCP: too many of orphaned sockets
printk: 328 messages suppressed.

Any ideas on what I can do to alleviate this?