AW: [squid-users] access.log

From: Manfred Pröll <manfred.proell_at_O2BEM000B.mail-o2business.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:25:51 +0200

Hi John,

how should that logfile look like? One big file for each day for all users?

Why do you generate a logfile for each user? Or didn't I understand that right? That would reduce the configuration issue and the amount of programming you have to do to get all files together.

If you need a separate log for a user just use "grep" to get all lines of the big file(s).

To put all files together you should write a short script to transfer them (e.g. by scp) to one server. There you can merge them and if needed sort them for a cronological file.

10 lines of code should do that.

If you want to use e.g. calamaris to generate reports you should take care that the logs are in a cronological way. Otherwise calamaris will report a lot of bugs.

There are technics to transfer the stream - but I'm not really happy with them as they usually cause problems after reboot.

Maybe that helps - I don't think someone has an "out of the box" solution,

Regards