[squid-users] Can't connect to localhost through Squid?

From: Haravikk <me_at_haravikk.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 13:19:31 +0100

Bah, another odd case with me probably doing silly things on my local machine. Anyway, I have a local web-host on the same machine that is running my squid-cache. However, as all the browsers on that machine are set-up to use squid as a proxy, squid is used even when connecting to a site on localhost.

However, for some reason squid appears to be unable to connect to localhost, and returns the following error message:

> The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://localhost/~haravikk/test/
>
> Connection to localhost failed.
>
> The system returned: (51) Network is unreachable
>
> The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.
>
> Your cache administrator is webmaster.

I don't suppose anyone knows what may be causing this, or how I might bypass squid for connections to localhost? If I enter my network or public IP instead of "localhost" then there is no problem, but entering localhost or 127.0.0.1 causes problems. This is annoying as my machine running squid and the local web-server is a gateway machine but also actively used (can't afford a separate machine), but it's a bit annoying to temporarily change proxies for local connections then change them back.

Thanks!
- Haravikk