[squid-users] R: [squid-users] Squid::Guard perl module announce

From: Squid at Iotti dot Biz <squid_at_iotti.biz>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:49:40 +0200

> Da: Amos Jeffries [mailto:squid3_at_treenet.co.nz]

> Thank you for this. I'm sure quite a few people will find it useful.
>
> I'm trying to make a few things "standard" in the helpers.
> Please make this module accept the following command-line parameters:
> -d debug info sent to stderr of the helper.
> errors resulting in helper crash or exit prefixed with "FATAL: "
> serious errors not resulting in crash prefixed with "ERROR: "
> warnings about bad state which is and can be
> auto-recovered prefixed
> with "WARNING: "

Most debug messages are only informational. Is it ok to prepend these with
"INFO: "?

> -h usage information about the helper command-line arguments.

I'm going to add these flags to the "luxguard" example helper script
included in the package, which resembles the script I really use in
production. The basic example is provided to be as basic as it could, and I
would like to keep it short as possible :)

> Please support the concurrency protocol. A module such as
> this should be
> perfect for abstracting the particular transaction protocol.
> It will let
> foreach() be used to process large numbers of lookups
> quickly. Details on
> implementing concurrency protocol can be found at
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Redirectors

I really want to support concurrency. Implementing it in the library is
really simple (just allowing the ID field in the request), but I should also
give an example script which takes some benefit from it. I think it should
be using perl threads (I don't see any benefit from concurrency, if I'm
going to process the requests one at a time in a FIFO queue), and I want to
be sure all other features are working before adventuring in threads.

> Also, does it have to be called "Guard"? AFAIK that is a defacto brand
> name for that other software. What this module does is
> url-rewriting and/or
> redirects. Squid::Helper::UrlRewrite would be more appropriate IMHO.

It was named Squid::Guard because it did (and effectively does, to date) try
to do wat squidGuard does, in a different way. I thought that anybody
interested in this subject already knows squidGuard, so I chose that name to
self-explain what the module is for. Maybe if the project grows on, in the
occasion of some major code restyling we can obsolete the old name ad choose
a new one, like it was done for other CPAN modules in the past.

Thank you for your suggestions.