Re: [squid-users] Squid billboard

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:33:31 +0000

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:26:21 -0400, "Jim Moseby"
<JMoseby_at_elasticfabrics.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up squid, and I have auth working against Novell NDS. I'd
> like to be able to have users authenticate via a form on a page that
> displays our usage policy, etc rather than the simple username/password
box
> that currently pops up. Is this do-able? Any hints?
>
> jm

This is better known as splash pages in captive portals.

Squid will happily send a custom error page along with the auth challenge.
The way browsers work these days prevents the page being displayed unless
the auth popup fails. To get real auth the easy way is to create a two-step
process with the AUP page available without auth. Then the acceptance link
going to a place with auth challenge.

Amos