Re: Fwd: [squid-users] URL redirection in offline mode

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:18:54 +0200

On 16.10.10 21:48, mohd hafiz wrote:
> Can i do as below:
>
> eth0= interface to internet
> $LAN_IN = interface to lan
> $SQUID_SERVER = local DNS resolver
> $SQUID_PORT = 3128
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $LAN_IN -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT
> --to $SQUID_SERVER:$SQUID_PORT
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p udp --dport 53 -j REDIRECT
> --to-port 3128
>
> this will redirect udp port 53 to my local resolver server.

I think you should know that SQUID is NOT a DNS server and can NOT process
DNS requests from your clients. Squid is HTTP-only proxy.

You must have DNS server on the machine you redirect DNS requests to (It
doesn't have to be the same squid runs on), and it will probably listen at
port 53, not 3128.

(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer