RE: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Cache ONLY Relative URL

From: Sokol, Ryan - 1244 <ryans_at_HA.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:42:51 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Amos Jeffries [mailto:squid3_at_treenet.co.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:23 PM

But I only have one site that I'm proxying, so the non-domain part of all URLs cached is exactly the same. http://www.domain.com/object.html is exactly the same as http://squid1.domain.com/object.html.

> * There is no requirement for you to send the absolute URL
> "http://squid1.domain.com/object.html" to your squid1. You can as easily
> contact it directly:
> squidclient -h squid1 http://www.example.com/object.html

Great! Didn't know that tool exists. It is certainly one way to precache.

> * Also, pre-caching has a very limited set of uses. Check that you
> actually need to do this before wasting bandwidth.

My squids sit in front a dynamic imaging server that often takes 10-15 seconds to generate the resulting image. I don't want my customers to have to wait for these images, so I precache for them.