Re: [squid-users] Limiting user's bandwidth

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:33:33 +0100

> > > $tc filter add dev eth1 parent 2:0
> > protocol ip prio 4 handle 1003 fw classid
> > 2:1003
> >
> > I'm no expert, but I would remove the prio parameter. I
> > think this is
> > matching the prio value of a packet - probably not what you
> > want. I
> > would also change the "classid" to "flowid".
>
> The reason for the prio is becuase I'm prioritizing other traffic. I
> want DNS, SSH, ICMP, and VOIP to have a higher priority than the rest.

If you want to achieve that then you need to do it differently. The prio
in the filter above is matching the packet's prio field and filtering
traffic in as appropriate, so the only traffic going into the leaf above
is that with a prio value 4 (which would explain why no shaping is
taking place).

If you want to do the prio stuff, you'll need to attach it as a separate
qdisc to the appropriate class, but again remember that it will only do
that for each user within that leaf class.

> > You can just add these as a few extra rules to MARK the
> > packets
> > accordingly. However... if you're limiting per client IP
> > address then
> > they are largely irrelevant, as the user will just fill up
> > their own
> > leaf with P2P data.
>
> You are correct, adding your p2p rules will make the kernel
> work harder. Just realized I stablished this control because
> of p2p. That was my first reason and later just decided to
> give each user the same amount of bw.

In which case there's no need to add any P2P rules in this instance,
unless you want to shape individual users' traffic for them.

Andy