[squid-users] help with simple web cache configuration

From: Nick Rathke <nick_at_sci.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:45:04 -0600

Hi,

I have been trying various configuration combination for days and
reading the FAQ and the configuration documentation trying to get a
basic web cache to work without much luck.

I have a department web site that I need to cache on some local systems,
I need to cache as much as possible to limit the bandwidth use. 90% of
the content is video .mov | .mp4 | .jpg files that loop in a sequence of
and over again which is why I don't want to have them download each time
they play. There is also a live RSS feed in the page the does need to
refresh all the time.

I have included my configuration that I have now. The web "clients" are
running openSUSE with squid 2.7.STABLE6-6.1 from a 4GB USB drive that
has about 800GB free, systems have 1GB or RAM ( which I have not gone to
go above 30% used ).

The store log seems to show media files with a "SWAPOUT" but when I look
at the network activity it looks like firefox is still down loading them.

The RSS is not update and is being cached ( which it shouldn't be ) Then
the .mov file startes play the store state seems to move to "RELEASE"

Hopefully someone can help.....

-Nick

Most of this should be default.......

authenticate_cache_garbage_interval 1 hour
acl all src all
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8
acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12
acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80
acl Safe_ports port 21
acl Safe_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 70
acl Safe_ports port 210
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535
acl Safe_ports port 280
acl Safe_ports port 488
acl Safe_ports port 591
acl Safe_ports port 777
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
acl shoutcast rep_header X-HTTP09-First-Line ^ICY.[0-9]
acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
broken_vary_encoding allow apache
access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localnet
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all
icp_access allow localnet
icp_access deny all
reply_body_max_size 0 allow all
http_port 3128
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
cache_mem 512 MB
memory_replacement_policy lru
cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 512 16 256
store_dir_select_algorithm least-load
max_open_disk_fds 0
minimum_object_size 0 KB
maximum_object_size 256 MB
cache_swap_low 90
cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
cache_store_log /var/log/squid/store.log
emulate_httpd_log off
netdb_filename /var/log/squid/netdb.state
ftp_passive on
max_stale 3 day
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0 1440