[squid-users] Re: Multiple NICs

From: Nick Cairncross <Nick.Cairncross_at_condenast.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:39:17 +0000

>Hi!
>
>I wouldn't think you need multiple network cards to use squid, unless
>your internet connection is on or above 1GB/s. If your ISP provides you
>less, I would think a regular gigabit Nic would do the job.
>Your Hard Drives probably wont be fast enough to cache data on multiple
>Nics anyways.
>
>We have over 1000 Clients, and the previous setup we used, we had only 1
>GB network interface of our squid. It was sitting in the DMZ, and the
>connections went trough it.
>It was fine. Had no connection problems.
>
>Tibby
>Feladó: Nick Cairncross [Nick.Cairncross_at_condenast.co.uk]
>Küldve: 2010. november 8. 12:13
>Címzett: Squid Users
>Tárgy: [squid-users] Multiple NICs
>
>Hi list,
>
>I'm looking at building a couple more 3.1.8 servers on RHEL 5.5 x86. The
>servers are nicely high-powered have multiple Gb NICs (4 in total). My
>previous proxy server (bluecoat) had two NICs. I understand that one was
>used to listen to requests and send to our upstream accelerator and one
>was used if the equivalent 'send direct' was used i.e bypass the
>accelerator. Can the list make any thoughts or recommendations about the
>best way to utilise the NICs for best performance? Can I achieve the same
>outbound as above? Should I even bother trying to do this? User base
>would be about 700 users; I'm not caching. Simple ACLs but with two
>authentication helpers (depending on browser).
>
>Cheers
>Nick

Thanks Tibby for your input - sounds sensible. Net connection is fast and
wide, so gb should be ok.

In that case another question for the list: Seeing as I'm not doing ANY
caching at all and just proxying traffic are there any recommendations for
squid.conf settings that might optimise my users' experiences (other than
caching..). I have fast ACLs where possible in place and my squid.conf is
as below. I'm looking for any tips on maximising memory, processes etc
from within the squid.conf so that the end user has as quick an experience
as possible - Are there any other tags I should look at using? Server spec
is a single cpu Xeon X5660 @ 2.8, 6gb 1333 ram, 250 gb R1

===
http_port 8080

auth_param negotiate program /usr/lib/squid/squid_kerb_auth -r
auth_param negotiate children 80
auth_param negotiate keep_alive on

auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 60
auth_param ntlm keep_alive on

auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic children 20
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

cache_peer [upstream] parent 8080 0 no-query proxy-only no-digest default

cache_mgr [blanked]
cachemgr_passwd [blanked] all
client_persistent_connections on
#server_persistent_connections on
persistent_connection_after_error on

access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
cache_store_log none squid
cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log squid

###### Delay Pool Definitions #######

# Total number of delay pools
delay_pools 1

#### ACCESS CONTROL LISTS #####

## USER-AGENT (Browser-type) ACLs
acl Java_jvm browser "/etc/squid/ACL/USERAGENTS/USER-AGENTS_JAVA.txt"
acl iTunes browser "/etc/squid/ACL/USERAGENTS/USER-AGENTS_APPLE.txt"
acl MSNMessenger browser "/etc/squid/ACL/USERAGENTS/USER-AGENTS_MSN.txt"

## USER AUTHENTICATION ACLs
acl AuthenticatedUsers proxy_auth REQUIRED

## URL DESTINATION ACLs
acl URL_ALLOWDstDomains dstdomain
"/etc/squid/ACL/URL/URL_ALLOWDstDomains.txt"

## IP ACLS ##
acl CNP_SERVERIP src 172.16.10.176
acl CNP_SERVERIP src 172.16.100.50
acl CNP_CLIENTIP src "/etc/squid/ACL/IPADDRESSES/IP_CLIENTIP.txt"

## Windows Update ACLS
acl WSUS_IP src 172.16.10.127

# LAN IP ACLs
acl CNP_172SUBNETS src 172.16.0.0/16
acl CNP_SERVERSUBNETS src 172.16.10.0/24
acl CNP_SERVERSUBNETS src 172.16.100.0/24

# Blocks CONNECT method to IP addresses (Blocks Skype amongst other things)
acl StopDirectIP url_regex ^[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+

# MSN Messenger Allow IP ACL
acl IP_MSNMessenger src "/etc/squid/ACL/IPADDRESSES/IP_MSNMESSENGER.txt"

# SEND DIRECT ACLs
acl SENDDIRECT_DstDomains dstdomain
"/etc/squid/ACL/SENDDIRECT/SENDDIRECT_DSTDOMAINS.txt"
acl SENDDIRECT_IPAddresses src
"/etc/squid/ACL/SENDDIRECT/SENDDIRECT_IPADDRESSES.txt"

# CONNECT Method Direct IP ACLs
acl IP_CONNECTALLOW src "/etc/squid/ACL/IPADDRESSES/IP_CONNECTALLOW.txt"

## LOCALHOST ACLs
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8

## CACHEMGR ACL
acl manager proto cache_object

## PORTS ACLs
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 8080 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl RTMP_ports port 1935 # RTMP

# CONNECTION METHOD ACL
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
acl POST method POST

######### ICAP SERVER #########
acl ICAP_BYPASS dstdomain "/etc/squid/ACL/ICAP/ICAP_BYPASS_URL.txt"

## ICAP Settings
icap_enable on
icap_preview_enable on
icap_persistent_connections on
icap_send_client_ip on
icap_send_client_username on
icap_client_username_header X-Authenticated-User
icap_client_username_encode on
icap_service ss reqmod_precache 0 icap://localhost:1344/ssreqmod
adaptation_service_set c1 ss
adaptation_access c1 deny ICAP_BYPASS
adaptation_access c1 deny POST
adaptation_access c1 deny CONNECT
adaptation_access c1 allow all

###### ACCESS RULES #####

## CACHEMGR ALLOW
http_access allow manager CNP_172SUBNETS

## GLOBAL DENY RULES - Do NOT include User Authentication ACLs here
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny manager !CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access deny MSNMessenger CNP_172SUBNETS !IP_MSNMESSENGER
http_access deny StopDirectIP !IP_CONNECTALLOW
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_Ports !CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access deny POST !SSL_Ports !RTMP_ports !CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access deny iTunes !CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access deny Java_jvm !CNP_172SUBNETS

# CACHEMGR ALLOW
http_access allow manager CNP_172SUBNETS

# POST/CONNECT Method ALLOW #
http_access allow CONNECT CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access allow POST CNP_172SUBNETS

# USER AGENTS ALLOW #
http_access allow iTunes CNP_172SUBNETS
http_access allow Java_jvm CNP_172SUBNETS

# URL and IP DESTINATIONS NOT REQUIRING AUTHENTICATION
http_access allow URL_ALLOWDstDomains
http_access allow CNP_SERVERIP
http_access allow CNP_CLIENTIP
http_access allow WSUS_IP

## USERS AUTHENTICATION ACL##
http_access allow AuthenticatedUsers

## SEND DIRECT ALLOW
always_direct allow SENDDIRECT_DstDomains
always_direct allow SENDDIRECT_IPAddresses

## LOCAL HOST ALLOW ##
http_access allow localhost

###### DELAY ACCESS RULES ######
# First delay class pool is User allocated
delay_class 1 4

# First delay class pool is limited to 4mb i.e. all users not in
exceptions: CNP_SERVERSUBNETS
delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 -1/-1 -1/-1 4000000/4000000

#First delay pool applied to Authenticated users except those in Server
Subnet
delay_access 1 allow AuthenticatedUsers !CNP_SERVERSUBNETS
delay_access 1 deny all

http_access deny to_localhost
never_direct allow all
snmp_access deny CNP_172SUBNETS
cache deny all
http_access deny all

The information contained in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise, is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Conde Nast does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author.

The Conde Nast Publications Ltd (No. 226900), Vogue House, Hanover Square, London W1S 1JU